Celery, Onion and Cheese Pancakes
Delicious pancakes that can be served for breakfast, brunch, or a light lunch. Sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice.
- 8 oz Lancashire cheese grated
- 3 - 4 sprigs of parsley finely chopped
- 1 quantity pancake batter see below
- 6 oz celery cleaned and trimmed
- 12 oz onion skinned and roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 4 tbsp fresh double cream heavy cream
- 4 oz flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pint milk
- butter for frying
- Add 50 g (2 oz) cheese and the parsley to the pancake batter and make eight thin pancakes in the usual way.
- Saute the roughly chopped celery and onion in the butter for 7 - 10 minutes, until soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, fresh cream and 125 g (4 oz) cheese.
- Divide the mixture into eight and spread over the pancakes. Roll up and place side by side in a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Reheat in the oven, uncovered, at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the egg. Beat with a wooden spoon, adding the milk gradually, until incorporated.
- To make pancakes. Heat a little butter in a 18 cm (7 inch) heavy-based frying pan until very hot, running it round to coat the sides of the pan; pour off any surplus.
- Ladle or pour in a little batter, rotating the pan at the same time, until enough batter is added to give a thin coating.
- Cook until the pancake begins to curl around the edges, revealing a golden-brown colour underneath. Ease a palette knife under the centre and flip over.
- Fry the other side until golden brown, then turn on to a warm plate and cover. Continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used, adding a small knob of butter to the pan each time.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. Or fill with a sweet or savoury filling.
Calories: 566 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 24 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 156 mg
Sodium: 642 mg
Potassium: 430 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1052 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 493 mg
Iron: 2 mg