Genoese Onion Tarts
Drain the anchovies, then soak in milk for 20 minutes. Drain again and cut into 12 even-sized strips.
- 7 1/2 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 2 oz can anchovy fillets
- 12 black olives halved and stoned
- 1 lb onions finely chopped
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or corn oil
- 4 streaky bacon rashers chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon French mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the filling: heat the margarine and oil in a frying-pan, add the bacon and fry over moderate heat for 7-8 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove the pan from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions to the fat remaining in the pan and fry very gently for 15 minutes until they are soft and lightly coloured.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Meanwhile, dampen 6 individual 7.5 cm (3 inch) tart tins. Roll out the pastry very thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut out 6 rounds with a 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) plain cutter. Use to line tart tins and then prick base of each pastry case with a fork.
- Add the herbs to the onions in the pan, together with the mustard, egg and milk. Mix well together, then season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling between the pastry cases, spread evenly and garnish with a cross made of
- anchovy strips and 4 olive halves.
- Bake above centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and the filling is browned on top. Remove the tarts from the oven then carefully transfer them to a platter and serve while still warm.
Calories: 387 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 706 mg
Potassium: 235 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 215 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 62 mg
Iron: 2 mg