Onion Soup (Soupe a l'oignon)
The classic French onion soup recipe is a hearty, warm, and satisfying dish. It's made with beef stock, onions, butter, and cheese.
- 6 Tbs Butter
- 4 Large onions thinly sliced into rings
- 2 Tbs Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pints Beef stock
- 4 rounds French or Italian bread cut approximately 3/4 inch thick and toasted
- 2 Garlic cloves halved
- 3 oz Parmesan or Gruyere cheese grated
- Melt the butter in a heavy flameproof casserole. Reduce the heat to low and add the onions.
- Simmer them, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the flour and seasoning, then gradually add the stock. Return to high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the casserole and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high.
- Rub each bread round on each side with a garlic clove half, then discard the garlic.
- Float the rounds on the soup and sprinkle the cheese generously over the top.
- Put Under the grill (broiler) and cook for 5 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling. Serve at once.
Calories: 397 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Sodium: 723 mg
Potassium: 572 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 729 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 301 mg
Iron: 2 mg