Cauliflower with Rich Mushroom Sauce
- 2.2 lb cauliflower approx
- 2 oz butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 12 1/2 floz chicken or vegetable stock or milk
- 3/4 cup button mushrooms
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 6 slices bread
- Prepare the cauliflower. Break it into medium sized florets and boil or steam them until just tender. Drain thoroughly and keep hot.
- Melt the 50 g of butter in a pan, stir in the flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Draw off the heat and gradually stir in the stock or milk.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until the sauce thickens.
- Clean and chop the mushrooms finely, add to the sauce, and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly, beat in the lemon juice and 2 tbsp of the hot sauce, then stir into the sauce.
- Heat gently, but do not allow the sauce to boil after the egg yolks have been added or it will curdle.
- Season to taste and add the nutmeg.
- Toast the bread, cut into rounds, and butter each.
- Arrange the cauliflower neatly on the rounds, and pour the sauce over.
Calories: 351 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 177 mg
Sodium: 777 mg
Potassium: 908 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 750 IU
Vitamin C: 122 mg
Calcium: 135 mg
Iron: 3 mg