Rich Fruit Loaf (Irish)
A rich fruit loaf that's bursting with flavour and bursting with nuts.
- 1 lb strong plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 oz butter
- 4 tbsp caster sugar superfine granulated
- 2 eggs size 3, beaten
- 9 floz tepid water
- 1 1/4 oz fresh yeast
- 2 lb sultanas golden raisins
- 4 oz cherries
- 2 oz walnuts
- 1 oz ginger slivers
- 2 floz glycerine
- 3 x 1 lb loaf tins
- Line the bottom of the loaf tin with greaseproof paper and grease well with a little white fat.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and dissolve the yeast in the tepid water. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the beaten eggs along with the water And yeast mixture. Beat vigorously for about 15 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and rest it for about 20 minutes in a warm place.
- When the dough feels like elastic, it is ready for the next stage.
- Wash the fruit, dry it well on kitchen paper and then toss in the glycerine. This will help to keep the loaf moist.
- Scrape the dough, which is sticky in texture, on top of the fruit and mix thoroughly.
- Cover again and rest for a further 45 minutes in a warm place. The dough should be at a temperature of approximately 27°C (81 F).
- Push the dough down into the bowl and divide into three pieces. Knead each piece for a few minutes on a lightly-floured work surface, folding the sides and then the ends to the centre, until the dough is smooth.
- Turn over and drop into the lightly greased tins. Leave in a warm place for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until the loaf is well risen.
- Brush lightly with a little beaten egg mixed with some water and a pinch of salt, then bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C (359°F, gas mark 4) until a rich deep-brown colour and firm to the touch, 35-40 minutes
- When the loaf is cooked it will also have slightly shrunk from the sides of the tin and sound hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool before turning out of the tins, then leave to go cold on a wire cooling rack.
Calories: 1870 kcal
Carbohydrates: 385 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 150 mg
Sodium: 1001 mg
Potassium: 2741 mg
Fiber: 19 g
Sugar: 201 g
Vitamin A: 659 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 234 mg
Iron: 14 mg