Cauliflower and Potatoes Indian Style (Aloo Gobhi)
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 cold boiled medium-sized waxy potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small green chilli pepper seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
- chapatis or nan Indian flat bread
- Prepare the cauliflower: cut off the larger stalks and solid root and divide the head into small florets. Cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Toast 1/2 tsp of the ground cumin in a non-stick pan with no added oil over a low heat for 1 minute while stirring; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the cumin seeds in it for about 3 seconds. Add the cauliflower florets and stir-fry over a moderately high heat.
- Reduce the heat to very low, cover and cook for 7 minutes by which time the florets should be just tender.
- Mix 1 tsp salt with the chopped chilli pepper, the toasted ground cumin, the ground coriander, turmeric and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the cauliflower, stir in the spice mixture and cook for 4 minutes over a low heat stirring carefully.
- Serve at once, with chapatis, or heated nan bread brushed with melted butter.
Calories: 285 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 53 mg
Potassium: 962 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 128 IU
Vitamin C: 114 mg
Calcium: 61 mg
Iron: 3 mg