Butterflied Prawns in Chilli Chocolate
- 8 large raw prawns in the shell
- 1 tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- juice of 4 Clementines or 1 large orange
- 1/2 oz unsweetened dark chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2.5 cm 1 in piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli seeded and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the prawns, leaving just the tail sections intact. Make a shallow cut down the back of each prawn and carefully pull out and discard the dark intestinal tract. Turn over the prawns so that the undersides are uppermost, then carefully split them open from tail to top, using a small sharp knife, cutting almost, but not quite, through to the back.
- Press the prawns down firmly to flatten them out. Coat with the seasoned flour and set aside.
- Gently heat the sherry and Clementine or orange juice in a small saucepan. When warm, remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the garlic, ginger and chilli over a moderate heat for 2 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add the prawns, cut-side down, to the pan; cook for 2 - 3 minutes until golden brown with pink edges. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the garlic mixture to the pan and pour over the chocolate sauce. Cook for 1 minute, turning the prawns to coat them in the glossy sauce. Season to taste and serve hot.
Calories: 218 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 141 mg
Sodium: 807 mg
Potassium: 328 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 310 IU
Vitamin C: 53 mg
Calcium: 90 mg
Iron: 2 mg