Tex Mex Chilli
Quorn takes the place of meat in this fast, healthy vegetarian version of a family favourite. Serve it as a sustaining supper, with baked potato wedges or rice, and a crisp green salad.
- 12 oz Quorn pieces
- 1 red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper cored, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely sliced
- 28 oz canned red kidney beans drained
- 28 oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp granulated artificial sweetener
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the Quorn pieces in a large, non-stick saucepan with the chopped onion, red pepper and garlic. Add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sweetener and paprika and stir to mix.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and cook over a medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, or leave to cool and chill overnight so that the flavours have time to develop - reheat the following day to serve. Accompany with baked potato wedges or boiled rice, and a crisp green salad.
- To prepare potato wedges to accompany the chilli, preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Cut 2 large baking potatoes into thick wedges, lightly spray with Fry Light, season with sea salt and bake in the hot oven for 20-25 minutes until crisp on the surface and cooked through.
Calories: 1206 kcal
Carbohydrates: 193 g
Protein: 103 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 4072 mg
Potassium: 4198 mg
Fiber: 72 g
Sugar: 47 g
Vitamin A: 5803 IU
Vitamin C: 269 mg
Calcium: 618 mg
Iron: 22 mg