- low fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 celery sticks chopped finely
- 1 large carrot chopped finely
- 1 courgette chopped
- 12 oz pack of Quorn mince
- 3 teaspoons medium chilli powder
- 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 8 oz can of red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 7 oz can of sweetcorn with peppers
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 10 floz boiling water
- 6 oz long grain rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan and spray it with low fat cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and courgette. Stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the Quorn mince, chilli powder, tomatoes, tomato puree, red kidney beans, sweetcorn with peppers and stock to the pan. Stir well and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- 15 minutes before you're ready to serve, put the rice on to cook in plenty of lightly salted, boiling water.
- Cook for about 12 minutes, until tender. Drain well and rinse with boiling water.
- Check the seasoning of the chilli, adding salt and pepper according to taste. Divide the cooked rice between four serving plates and pile the cooked chilli on top. Serve at once.
- Top tips Cook spicy food according your taste, adding extra chilli powder if you like things spicy, or use it sparingly if you prefer a milder flavour.
- Green Giant sell cans of sweetcorn with peppers and they are available in supermarkets. Although not as quick, you could also use 150 g (5 1/2 oz) sweetcorn and 50 g (1 3/4 oz) chopped peppers.
Calories: 411 kcal
Carbohydrates: 74 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 581 mg
Potassium: 867 mg
Fiber: 13 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 3392 IU
Vitamin C: 26 mg
Calcium: 110 mg
Iron: 5 mg