Baked Salmon Steaks with Avocado Sauce
- 4 cutlets or steaks of fresh salmon
- Pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Sprigs of tarragon dill, coriander or parsley
- 1 oz butter melted
for the avocado sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5 floz natural yoghurt
- Pinch of salt freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon to taste
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
- Wash or wipe the salmon cutlets or steaks and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Season lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper, place a sprig of tarragon, dill, coriander or parsley on each cutlet and parcel the fish up in a sheet of aluminium foil lightly brushed with the melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, according to the thickness of the cutlets.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Peel and stone the avocado and cube the flesh, making sure that you scrape out every bit of brighter green flesh near the skin as this gives the sauce its delicate colour.
- Put the diced avocado into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the yoghurt, salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Whizz until smooth and creamy. Check the seasoning, you may need more lemon juice.
- Now whisk in 1 tablespoon of the cooking juices from the fish - no more, or the sauce will become too thin.
- Have warm plates ready. Pour some of the avocado sauce into the middle of each plate and place a warm salmon cutlet in this.
- Add a little more sauce over each cutlet and garnish with a sprig of fresh tarragon, dill, coriander or parsley.
Calories: 397 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Protein: 36 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 114 mg
Sodium: 146 mg
Potassium: 1143 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 356 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 73 mg
Iron: 2 mg