Baked Potatoes with Apple
King Edward or Desiree potatoes are best.
- 4 large potatoes about 9 oz each
- 1/2 medium cooking apple
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 sage leaves chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt margarine or butter for greasing
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Scrub the potatoes and with a fork prick each one in 2 places on both, sides. Bake the potatoes in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven (leaving the oven on), allow to cool slightly, then cut each one in half lengthways. Scoop the cooked potato into a bowl, leaving the shells intact. Mash the potato well. Peel, core and finely chop the apple.
- Melt the margarine in a small frying-pan, add the onion and fry gently until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Stir in the apple and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes, until soft.
- Stir the apple and onion mixture into the mashed potato. Add the sage, mustard and a little salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture back into the potato shells and make criss-cross patterns on the top with a fork for a decorative finish.
- Put the potato shells in a greased shallow ovenproof dish and return to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes until the tops are browned. Serve piping hot. Alternatively, top the potatoes with grated cheese
Calories: 239 kcal
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 65 mg
Potassium: 965 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 194 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 36 mg
Iron: 2 mg