Zurich Style Veal Stew
Zurich Style Veal Stew is a savory soup with brisket, vegetables, and spices. It is a delectable dish that can be enjoyed in the winter and summer.
- 1 onion
- 12 oz button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 oz softened butter
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 lb thinly sliced stewing veal
- 1/4 pint dry white wine
- 8 floz single cream
- 1 teaspoon salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped herbs
- Finely dice the onion. Trim the mushrooms, wash well in cold water, drain and finely slice them. Work the flour into the butter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the veal a little at a time. When the meat is sealed, transfer it to a sieve over a basin.
- Fry the onions in the same pan until transparent. Add the mushrooms and cook them for a few minutes.
- Add the white wine and cream and stir in the flour and butter mixture until it has dissolved. Continue cooking for a few minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the veal and its juices, warm through and serve the stew sprinkled with herbs.
- There are several recipes for Zurich-Style Veal Stew, not all of which include mushrooms. If you haven't got any fresh mushrooms it is better to omit the mushrooms altogether.
- Serve with: Zurich Potato Cake, and a fresh green salad.
Calories: 607 kcal
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 206 mg
Sodium: 174 mg
Potassium: 940 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 642 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Calcium: 87 mg
Iron: 2 mg