Yel Adai (Coconut and rice pancakes)
- 1.1 lb Rice washed, soaked for 10 - 15 minutes
- 16 floz Water
- 9 oz Jaggery gur
- 1 1/4 cups Coconut nariyal, grated
- 5 oz Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Green cardamom choti elaichi, seeds
- 4 Banana leaves cut into 4" squares
- To prepare the jaggery syrup, boil the water, add jaggery and stir well. Remove the scum from time to time. Cook till the syrup is reduced to 1/4 th.
- Add the coconut and cook for 5 - 8 minutes more. Stir in ghee reserving about 25 g.
- Grind the rice with enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Add salt and green cardamom seeds.
- Smear the remaining ghee over the banana leaves. Place them over hot plates so that the leaves become soft. Pour the rice batter over the banana leaves, spread the jaggery mixture and fold in the shape of an envelope. Steam them for 18-20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Calories: 722 kcal
Carbohydrates: 106 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 20 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 12 mg
Potassium: 159 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 38 g
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 41 mg
Iron: 1 mg