Toad in the Hole with Onion Gravy
- 1 lb sausages
- 1/2 lb self raising self rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pint milk
for the onion gravy
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- a little fat from the sausages or dripping fat from roasted meat
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 pint liquid vegetable water or stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6 (400°F) 200°C
- Place the sausages in a smallish baking tray, and bake for 5-10 minutes until the fat runs out and they begin to brown.
- Pour off some of the fat and keep it to one side.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt, mustard powder and flour together, and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour this batter into the hot tin on top of the sausages.
- Push the sausages into a tidy pattern and put it back into the oven for between 20 and 30 minutes.
- The sausages will continue to cook, and the pudding should rise spectacularly.
- When brown and golden and crisp on the outside, it is ready.
- to make the onion gravy
- Slice the onions and cook them in the fat until they are pale gold.
- Add a tablespoon of flour and stir around until pale gold as well.
- Add the liquid. Bring to the boil while stirring gently, season to taste and there you have a lovely pale golden gravy.
- You could add a little Worcestershire sauce to give a slight piquancy.
Calories: 817 kcal
Carbohydrates: 97 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 169 mg
Sodium: 783 mg
Potassium: 523 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 53 g
Vitamin A: 302 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 109 mg
Iron: 3 mg