Baked Scallops with Garlic and Herbs
The season for scallops is autumn to spring, and a sweet sea-salt smell indicates their freshness. The fishmonger will open and clean them for you, but they are usually already presented on the flat half of their shells. Alternatively, frozen scallops are available from many large supermarkets. Larger scallops, such as the Great scallop or King scallop, are best for this dish.
- 12 large scallops
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Wash fresh scallops thoroughly under cold running water, discarding any fringe-like membrane and dark organs to leave the clean, white muscle and orange roe. If you have any hollow undershells, reserve 4 of them as serving dishes - scrub them thoroughly and boil for 5 minutes.
- Thaw frozen scallops and wipe them dry.
- Crush the garlic and mix with the parsley and oil in a bowl. Add the scallops, stir gently and season.
- Place 3 scallops in each shell and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Oven : Preheat to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6),
Calories: 96 kcal
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Sodium: 178 mg
Potassium: 109 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 170 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 8 mg
Iron: 1 mg