Roast Goose with Apples and Prunes
Roast Goose with Apples and Prunes recipe - oven-baked, super tender and succulent goose will be a family favorite.
- 5 lbs oven-ready goose with giblets
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion peeled
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1 lb no soak prunes
- 4 tbsp port
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 4 oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 6 Cox's Orange Pippin apples
- 1/2 pint dry white wine
- Prick the skin of the goose all over with a sharp skewer or fork.
- Pull the inside fat out of the bird and reserve.
- Rub seasoning over the skin.
- To make the stuffing, chop the onion. Finely chop the goose liver.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add the goose liver and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Roughly chop half the prunes and stir into the onion with the port. Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the sage, breadcrumbs and seasoning and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat. Spoon the stuffing into the neck end of the goose, then truss with strong cotton or fine string.
- Weigh the bird to calculate the cooking time. Put on a wire rack placed in a roasting tin.
- Cover the breast with the reserved fat, then with tin foil. Roast at 200°C (400°F/gas 6) for 15 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus 15 minutes, basting frequently.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the goose and rack, then drain off the fat from the roasting tin and discard.
- Core the apples and cut into eighths, then add to the tin with the remaining prunes and wine.
- Replace the goose on the rack over the roasting tin, discarding the tin foil and fat. Cook, uncovered, for the last 30 minutes.
- Serve the roast goose with the cooking juices, apples and prunes with potatoes and braised red cabbage.
Calories: 1056 kcal
Carbohydrates: 55 g
Protein: 39 g
Saturated Fat: 23 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 184 mg
Sodium: 463 mg
Potassium: 1199 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 30 g
Vitamin A: 676 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 62 mg
Iron: 7 mg