Classic Roast Turkey
This classic roast turkey recipe is for all of the turkey lovers out there. It's easy to prepare and tasty too! Serve surrounded by vegetables and stuffing balls and garnished with sage and parsley.
- 10 lb turkey thawed if frozen, giblets removed
- 1 lemon quartered
- 2 oz butter at room temperature
- 20 cocktail sausages
- 10 rashers streaky bacon
- sage and parsley sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190/375F/Gas 5. Wash the turkey inside and out and dry well with kitchen paper.
- Put the lemon quarters into the cavity. If you are stuffing the turkey, put the stuffing in the neck end pushing it upwards towards the breast (dont pull the neck skin too tightly, as the stuffing will expand during cooking). Secure the skin with wooden or metal skewers crossways, then tie the turkey legs together at the top of the drumsticks for a good shape. Weigh the turkey and calculate the cooking time at 18 minutes per 450g/1lb.
- Grease a large roasting tin with a little of the butter. Smear the rest over the turkey skin and season well, then put in the tin. Loosley cover with foil and roast for the calculated time. Meanwhile, halve the bacon rashers, stretch slightly and wrap half around each sausage.
- Baste the turkey every hour. One hour before the end of cooking, remove the foil and drain off the excess fat. 30 minutes before the end of cooking, put the sausages around the turkey (if room) or in a separate lightly oiled tin.
- To test whether the turkey is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh - the juices should run clear. If they are pinkish, cook for 15 minutes more, then test again. Transfer the turkey and sausages and sausages to a platter, tightly cover with foil and allow to rest for up to 30 minutes before carving. Serve surrounded by vegetables and stuffing balls and garnished with sage and parsley.
Calories: 6438 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 749 g
Saturated Fat: 122 g
Trans Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 2701 mg
Sodium: 7310 mg
Potassium: 8124 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 3326 IU
Vitamin C: 57 mg
Calcium: 427 mg
Iron: 31 mg