- 2 1/4 lb long firm aubergines
- 3 doves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli pepper fresh or dried, seeds removed
- generous pinch oregano
- 3 tbsp wine vinegar
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh soft or mild, sliceable cheese crusty white bread or wholemeal bread
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. While it is heating, chop off the ends of the aubergines, rinse and dry them and cut lengthwise in quarters.
- Slice the flesh lengthwise into strips, cutting these in half if they are very long. Soak in a large bowl of lightly salted water for about 10 minutes or until the water turns a brownish-grey colour.
- Drain the aubergine strips and blanch in the saucepan of boiling water for 1 1/2 minutes. Drain again and spread out in a single layer on a clean cloth; cover with another cloth and blot dry.
- Place the aubergine strips in a wide, shallow serving dish, sprinkle with the very thinly sliced garlic, the finely chopped or crumbled chilli pepper, oregano and a little salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar and about 4 tbsp olive oil.
- Stir and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving
Calories: 148 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 15 mg
Potassium: 1268 mg
Fiber: 16 g
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 332 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Iron: 2 mg