Stuffed Spanish Onions
- 2 large Spanish onions halved
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 oz butter
- 2 oz lean smoked bacon derinded and chopped
- 3 to matoes peeled and chopped
- 5 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Scoop a hollow in the centre of each onion half with a teaspoon, reserving the scooped out onion. Place the halves in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a little salt, bring to the boil and cook for about 15 minutes, until almost tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, chop the reserved onion. Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and cook the bacon and onion for 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the parsley and cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Fill the onion halves with this mixture and put in an ovenproof dish. Cover the base of the dish with water to a depth of 1 cm (1/2 inch). Cook in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Check the onions for tenderness after they have been boiled for about 15 minutes. The time will, of course, depend on how much onion you have
- scooped out from the centres.
Oven temperature: 220 °C, 425 °F, gas 7.
Calories: 139 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Sodium: 148 mg
Potassium: 460 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 975 IU
Vitamin C: 19 mg
Calcium: 56 mg
Iron: 1 mg