Stuffed Breast of Lamb #3
The Stuffed Breast of Lamb recipe is one of the most popular recipes on the site, and for good reason. The tenderness and flavour of the meat is complemented by a hearty filling which is perfectly cooked in a rich sauce.
- 1 boned breast of lamb
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 onion grated
- 4 oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 4 oz dried prunes finely chopped
- grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 oz blanched almonds chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Spread out the breast of lamb on a board and rub in the salt, pepper and tarragon.
- Mix the onion, breadcrumbs, prunes, orange rind and juice, lemon rind, almonds and salt and pepper and bind well with the egg. Spread the stuffing over the meat.
- Carefully roll up the lamb. Do not roll too tightly as the stuffing tends to expand slightly during cooking.
- Tie the joint securely with string. Weigh the stuffed lamb to calculate the cooking time. Allow 25 minutes per 450 g ( 1 lb) plus an extra 25 minutes. Place on a wire rack in a roasting tin and cook in a moderate oven for the calculated time.
- When cooked, carefully remove the string, slice and serve with gravy and a selection of vegetables, such as peas and Duchesse Potatoes.
- Blanched almonds are much easier to chop or cut into slivers if covered with boiling water for 30 seconds then drained.
Oven temperature 180°C, 350°F, gas 4,
Calories: 362 kcal
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 830 mg
Potassium: 591 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 18 g
Vitamin A: 372 IU
Vitamin C: 34 mg
Calcium: 137 mg
Iron: 3 mg