Stuffed Cucumber Salad
Choose a straight cucumber so that it will be easy to slice evenly. A curly, soft-leaved lettuce is best for this recipe because it gives an added attraction, but any soft-leaved lettuce will do. Serve the stuffed cucumber slices, with the lettuce as a garnish, as a tasty starter or with drinks. As an alternative suggestion, the salad could be accompanied by cold, sliced meat to make a much more filling supper or lunch.
- 1 large cucumber cut into 24 even slices
- 1 round lettuce leaves separated
- 12 oz carrots finely grated
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- small parsley sprigs and a few chopped walnuts to garnish
- 9 oz curd cheese
- 3 oz shelled walnuts chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives or finely chopped spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
- large pinch of mustard powder
- pinch of caster sugar
- Make the filling: put all the filling ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix well with a fork.
- Remove the seeds from each slice of cucumber with an apple corer or a small sharp knife. Season on both sides with salt and pepper and set out on a flat plate.
- Divide the filling between the cucumber slices, pressing it into the central hole and piling it up on top.
- Make the dressing: put all the dressing ingredients in a small screw-top jar, season with salt and pepper then shake the jar well to mix together.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on 4 individual plates and drizzle a teaspoonful of the dressing over each serving. Carefully transfer 6 cucumber slices to each plate, arranging them in a ring.
- Mix the grated carrots with the sultanas in a bowl and add the remaining dressing. Toss to coat thoroughly, then pile into the centre of the rings of stuffed cucumber slices. Garnish 3 cucumber slices on each plate with a parsley sprig and 3 slices with a few chopped walnuts. Serve at once.
Calories: 640 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Sodium: 486 mg
Potassium: 753 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 15 g
Vitamin A: 15070 IU
Vitamin C: 12 mg
Calcium: 546 mg
Iron: 2 mg