This strawberry flan recipe is the perfect dessert to make for your Valentine. With a little love and patience, you can whip up this delicious dessert in no time.
- 4 oz shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp caster sugar superfine granulated
- 1 tbls flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla flavouring
- 5 floz milk
- 1 lb strawberries hulled
- 2 tbsp red currant jelly
- 5 floz fresh double cream heavy cream
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbls spoon icing sugar confectioners sugar sifted icing sugar
- 2 tsp orange juice or sherry
- Roll out the pastry. Use it to line a 15 - 18 cm (6 - 7 inch) fluted flan ring resting on a lightly buttered baking tray. Prick well all over.
- Line with foil and bake blind in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil, return the flan to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove and cool.
- Beat the egg yolk and sugar together until thick and light.
- Stir in the flour and vanilla and gradually blend in the milk.
- Pour into a small saucepan and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to the boil and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove
- When completely cold, spread over the base of the flan case, cover with strawberries and brush with melted red currant jelly.
- Beat the fresh cream and milk together until thick. Stir in the sugar and either orange juice or sherry.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture over the fruit filling. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Calories: 238 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Sodium: 117 mg
Potassium: 195 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 459 IU
Vitamin C: 45 mg
Calcium: 66 mg
Iron: 1 mg