Steak au Poivre
- 1 rounded teaspoon black or green peppercorns
- 3 1/2 oz fillet steak trimmed
- low fat cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 tablespoons half fat crime fraiche
- Maldon salt or sea salt
- vegetables such as courgettes, mange tout peas and cauliflower
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Crush the peppercorns coarsely, either by using a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin.
- Press both sides of the fillet steak firmly on to the crushed peppercorns.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan and lightly spray it with low fat cooking spray. Over a high heat, add the steak and allow it to sear and brown for about 30 seconds. Turn it over and sear it on the other side. Reduce the heat to medium hot, and cook the steak for another 2 - 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm serving plate, season with salt and keep warm.
- Add the brandy to the pan and let it bubble up for a few moments. Spoon in the creme fraiche, heat for about 30 seconds, and then pour this sauce over the steak.
- Serve with some No Point vegetables and garnish with the chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Top tips Use sirloin or rump steak instead of fillet if you prefer the flavour.
Calories: 291 kcal
Carbohydrates: 2 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 183 mg
Potassium: 266 mg
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 15 IU
Calcium: 7 mg
Iron: 2 mg