Steak with Oranges and Walnuts
You can use any type of steak for this dish, including fillet steak, sirloin, rump or minute steaks. Ready-shelled walnuts are easiest to use for this recipe, but if you choose to buy fresh walnuts in their shells, check to see that the seal between the two halves of the shell is intact. The oranges add a tangy flavour as well as a vivid colour to this simple steak recipe. Heat a large dish, ready for serving.
- 4 steaks
- 2 oranges
- 1 lettuce heart
- 1 1/2 oz walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- The sweet taste of orange and the nutty texture of walnuts complement a tender steak beautifully.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil. Cut a thin slice of orange from one of the oranges and cut it into matchsticks. Blanch the matchsticks in boiling water I for 1 minute, drain and leave to one side.
- Peel both the oranges with a sharp knife, cutting away all the white pith. Remove the segments over a basin by cutting them along either side of their membranes. Squeeze any remaining juice from the orange into the basin.
- Wash and shred the lettuce and finely chop the walnuts and chives. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat, add the orange segments and juice, chopped walnuts and chives and bring to the boil. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the juice is syrupy, then transfer to a warm bowl.
- Season the steaks with salt and black pepper and add them to the pan. Fry the steaks over a high heat on both sides until cooked according to the thickness of the meat and your personal taste about 3 minutes on each side for a rare steak and 4-5 for a well-done steak.
- When the steaks are nearly cooked, pour the sauce over them and cook for another minute. Arrange the steaks and sauce on the heated serving dish and keep warm.
- Keeping to a high heat, add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the shredded lettuce for just 1 minute. Add the orange matchsticks and stir well. Scatter the lettuce and orange rind over the steaks and serve immediately.
Calories: 636 kcal
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Protein: 49 g
Saturated Fat: 16 g
Cholesterol: 138 mg
Sodium: 131 mg
Potassium: 964 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 909 IU
Vitamin C: 39 mg
Calcium: 78 mg
Iron: 5 mg