Dhan Dar (Split red gram tempered with garlic)
- 2 3/4 oz Split red gram arhar dal
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
for the tempering:
- 1 floz Vegetable oil
- 2 Green chillies
- a pinch Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic lasan paste or 4 - 5 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cumin jeera seeds or powder
- Soak the split red gram in 2 - 3 cups water with salt and turmeric powder for at least 20 minutes. Most of the water should be absorbed.
- Transfer the split red gram into a pressure cooker. Add water, about 1/2 inch above the dal level. Cook on high heat. After the first whistle, turn heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Whisk or blend, adding water, if required. Return the cooker to heat and bring it to the boil.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan till smoking; lower heat, saute all the ingredients till golden. Remove from heat, pour into the dal, and cover immediately to prevent the aroma from escaping.
- Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes before serving, garnished with fried onions and a dollop of butter.
Calories: 142 kcal
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 221 mg
Potassium: 6 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 2 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 39 mg
Iron: 1 mg