Spicy Potato Sticks
This is a mildly spicy dish - for a hotter taste, increase the amount of chilli powder slightly. These tasty potato sticks are excellent for brightening up plain dishes such as roast or grilled chicken or lamb. Alternatively, they make a delicious addition to an Indian meal. For a dash of colour, garnish with fresh coriander sprigs.
- 1 lb even-sized potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons water vegetable oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Pat dry on absorbent paper.
- Cut the potatoes into 5 mm(1/4 inch) thick slices, then cut each slice lengthways into 2 mm (1/8 inch) wide sticks. Set aside.
- Put the garlic with the onion, spices, 1 teaspoon salt and the water into a blender and blend until the mixture is very smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying-pan, add the spice mixture and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Fill a large heavy-based frying-pan to a depth of 1 cm (1/2 inch) with oil and heat until a stale bread cube browns in 50 seconds.
- Fry a batch of the potato sticks in the oil until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Fry the rest.
- While frying the last batch, return the pan of spice mixture to low heat and heat through.
- Add the potato sticks to the spice mixture and toss to coat well.
- Turn the sticks into a warmed serving dish and serve at once.
Calories: 165 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 13 mg
Potassium: 550 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 83 IU
Vitamin C: 25 mg
Calcium: 29 mg
Iron: 2 mg