Kesar Sandesh (Indian Saffron-cheese fudge)
- 1/2 tsp Saffron kesar
- 11 oz Full-cream milk
- 4 tbsp Lemon nimbu juice
- 2 1/2 oz Sugar powdered
- Roast the saffron in a dry pan and pound to a fine powder. Dissolve in 2 tbsp hot milk. Keep aside.
- Heat the full-cream milk in a pan on high heat; bring to a frothing boil, stirring continuously. Reduce heat and add lemon juice to curdle the milk. If the milk does not curdle, then add 1 more tbsp of lemon juice. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
- Pour the cheese-whey mixture into a moist cheesecloth. Pick up the cheesecloth by its corners, twist it loosely just to seal the cheese inside and rinse under the tap for a few minutes. Hang the cloth for 20-30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain.
- Remove the cheese on a clean work surface and crumble till it becomes fluffy and even. Blend in the sugar and knead till smooth and grainless.
- Transfer the cheese-sugar mixture to a heavy-bottomed pan. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until the mixture becomes a little thick and glossy.
- Divide the mixture into two portions. Mix the . dissolved saffron into one portion till it turns yellow. Divide the yellow cottage cheese mixture into 2 portions again.
- Spread three alternate layers of yellow, white and yellow mixture on a buttered tray to form a 2 inch - thick cake. Keep aside to cool and then cut into 1 1/2 inch - thick squares. Arrange on a platter and serve.
Calories: 179 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 1 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 62 mg
Potassium: 170 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 27 g
Vitamin A: 15 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 11 mg
Iron: 1 mg