Seafood Wontons with Spicy Dressing
The best Chinese food recipes are the ones that are made in your own kitchen. With this Seafood Wontons with Spicy Dressing recipe, you'll learn how to make wontons from scratch.
- 8 oz raw prawns peeled and deveined
- 4 oz white crabmeat picked over
- 4 canned water chestnuts finely diced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 small green chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 20 - 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg separated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- coriander leaves to garnish
for the spicy dressing
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped pickled ginger
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp finely diced red pepper
- Finely dice the prawns and place them in a bowl. Add the crabmeat, water chestnuts, spring onion, chilli, ginger and egg white. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a board. Put about 5 ml (1 tsp) of the filling just above the centre of the wrapper. With a pastry brush, moisten the edges of the wrapper with a little of the egg yolk. Bring the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling. Press gently to expel any air, then seal the wrapper neatly in a triangle.
- For a more elaborate shape, bring the two side points up over the filling, overlap the points and pinch the ends firmly together. Space the filled wontons on a large baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, so that they do not stick together.
- Half fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to simmering point. Add the filled wontons, a few at a time, and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. The wontons will float to the surface. When ready the wrappers will be translucent and the filling should be cooked. Remove the wontons with a large slotted spoon, drain them briefly, then spread them on trays. Keep warm while cooking the remaining wontons.
- Make the coriander dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl. Divide the wontons among serving dishes, drizzle with the dressing and serve garnished with a handful of coriander leaves.
Calories: 532 kcal
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 132 mg
Sodium: 1402 mg
Potassium: 329 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 1416 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 107 mg
Iron: 4 mg