Spicy Fish with Mangoes
Grey mullet is a particularly suitable firm-fleshed fish for this dish, as it grills easily and is relatively inexpensive. You can, however, use any firm white fish, such as cod, swordfish or monkfish. Choose ripe mangoes with a sweet smell and taut skin. This dish goes well with Basmati rice, cooked with 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut. The marinade can be prepared up to 12 hours in advance.
- 1 large grey mullet filleted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 mango or 3 medium tomatoes
- Sprigs of coriander for garnish
for the marinade
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 in piece fresh ginger
- 16 floz low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 lemon juice
- To make the marinade, crush the garlic and cut the ginger into matchsticks. Empty the yoghurt into a dish large enough to hold the fish fillets and add the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, lemon juice, chopped coriander and salt.
- Place the fish in this mixture and turn to make sure it is well coated. Cover and leave for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- When the fish is ready, preheat the grill and remove the fish from the marinade. Reserve half this marinade and discard the rest.
- Place the fish in an ovenproof dish under the grill at a medium heat for 15 minutes, then turn the fish over carefully and grill for 15 minutes more until it has just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, preheat a low oven. Chop the fresh coriander finely and add it to the marinade, then pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat gently for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour the marinade into a jug or sauceboat and keep warm in the oven.
- Peel and slice the mango or, if using tomatoes, cut them into quarters.
- Remove the fish from the grill. Cut each fillet in two and arrange on a serving platter.
- Garnish with mango or tomato slices, and coriander sprigs. Pour over the marinade and serve.
Calories: 165 kcal
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Protein: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 117 mg
Potassium: 570 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 841 IU
Vitamin C: 36 mg
Calcium: 251 mg
Iron: 1 mg