This is a great recipe for roasted goose. The meat is tender and juicy, and the skin is crispy.
- 10 lb goose
- herb sage or apple stuffing, or 2 lemons
- fried apple or pineapple rings to garnish
- Stuff the goose, or halve one of the lemons and rub the goose all over with the juice.
- Peel the second lemon and place it inside the goose (to absorb some of the fat).
- Truss the goose and' place it in a roasting tin.
- Sprinkle with flour and roast in a preheated moderately hot oven 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to moderate 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 and continue roasting for 15 minutes to each 450 g (1 lb)
- A 4.5 kg (10 lb) goose should take about 2 1/2 hours, but if it is on the old and tough side, it may need 20 minutes to each 450 g (1 lb).
- Serve garnished with fried apple or pineapple rings.
A sour apple cooked in the tin with the goose will improve the gravy.
Calories: 1365 kcal
Protein: 60 g
Saturated Fat: 37 g
Cholesterol: 302 mg
Sodium: 261 mg
Potassium: 1191 mg
Vitamin A: 378 IU
Vitamin C: 16 mg
Calcium: 45 mg
Iron: 9 mg