Provencale Fish Stew
A hearty Mediterranean lunch or dinner, this dish is a real delight for fish lovers.
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 pint dry red wine
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pints fresh mussels in their shells scrubbed and debearded
- 8 large Mediterranean prawns
- 4 oz peeled prawns
- 4 crab claws shelled but with the claw tips left intact
- In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic together gently in the olive oil, until they are soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes and fry until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the red wine and the tomato puree. Season to taste, then bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the mussels, re-cover the pan and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until all the mussel shells are open. Discard any that remain closed.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 5-8 minutes, or until the shell fish has thoroughly heated through.
- If you have to keep the mussels overnight, wrap them in damp newspaper and store them in the vegetable tray at the bottom of the refrigerator.
- To make sure the mussels are fresh, whilst scrubbing them, tap any open ones sharply with a knife. If they do not shut tight, quite quickly, discard them. Also discard any with broken shells or that do not open after cooking.
Calories: 446 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 221 mg
Sodium: 1033 mg
Potassium: 1074 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 1853 IU
Vitamin C: 36 mg
Calcium: 138 mg
Iron: 6 mg