The most common vegetables in Provencale cooking -aubergines, courgettes, peppers, tomatoes and onions - make a colourful and delicious sauce for pasta. The fusilli pasta used in this recipe comes in the shape of small twists. If you have a bottle of red wine open, add a glass to give the sauce a lift. Freshly grated Parmesan or Cheddar can be served separately for sprinkling over the pasta. Serve with a mixed or green salad for a healthy vegetarian main course, or it can be eaten on its own as a snack.
- 10 oz fusilli pasta
- 2 medium-sized courgettes
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb tinned chopped tomatoes or fresh ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de PrOvence
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 glass red wine optional
- 3 oz Parmesan or Cheddar cheese optional
- Trim the courgettes, peel the aubergine, and halve and de-seed the peppers, then cut the vegetables into thin strips, about 1/2 in (15 mm) thick. Thinly slice the onion and crush the garlic. If using fresh tomatoes, plunge them into a bowl of hot water for 30 seconds, then cold for 1 minute, until cool enough to peel off the skins with your fingers.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or casserole dish. Add the chopped onion and cook over a gentle heat for about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft. Add the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often. Then mix in the courgette and aubergine strips, and the garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, then add the tomatoes, tomato puree and herbs. Season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, stirring often. Then lower the heat, half cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and add a little water, or wine, if the sauce seems dry. Warm a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, leaving it cooked but slightly firm. Grate the cheese if using it.
- Drain the pasta and turn into the warmed bowl. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss well. Garnish with slivers of Parmesan and serve.
Calories: 556 kcal
Carbohydrates: 79 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 22 mg
Sodium: 302 mg
Potassium: 1266 mg
Fiber: 10 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 1704 IU
Vitamin C: 126 mg
Calcium: 254 mg
Iron: 4 mg