Pasta with Broccoli In Hot Sauce
- 1 lb purple sprouting or green calabrese broccoli
- 12 oz pasta shapes e.g. shells or quills
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 chilli peppers dried or fresh
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large saucepan with plenty of salted water in it to the boil. Divide the broccoli into small florets. Rinse well and drain.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli peppers if using fresh, and cut into thin rings; if using dried chillis, crumble them.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying-pan and cook the garlic very briefly (do not allow to colour).
- Add the chillis and broccoli and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Stir-fry over a high heat for 1-2 minutes, then turn down the heat to very low, cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, adding a little water at intervals to prevent the contents catching and burning. The vegetables should be tender but still crisp.
- Add the pasta to the saucepan of fast boiling water and cook until just tender. Reserve about 4 fl oz (120 ml) of the cooking water, drain off the rest and add the pasta to the broccoli, together with some or all of the reserved water.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute, using a spatula to merely lift the pasta off the bottom of the wok or pan, allowing the broccoli to mix without stirring it.
Calories: 532 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Protein: 14 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 1267 mg
Potassium: 656 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1575 IU
Vitamin C: 136 mg
Calcium: 95 mg
Iron: 4 mg