Broccoli, Almond and Nutmeg Soup
A hearty, warming winter soup made with broccoli, almonds and nutmeg. Can be topped with toasted almonds or crispy breadcrumbs.
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium potato
- 2 1/2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 oz flaked almonds
- 1/2 pint semi-skimmed or whole milk
- 1 generous pinch nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim and divide the broccoli into florets. Reserve 2 oz (50 g) and roughly chop the rest. Chop the onion and dice the potato into cubes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and cook the onion over a medium heat until transparent. Add the potato and chopped broccoli with the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and add the flaked almonds, stirring gently. Remove as soon as they go brown.
- Reserve some almonds and put the rest in a liquidiser with the vegetables and their liquid. Blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan, add the milk and reheat.
- Add the nutmeg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Break the remaining broccoli into small florets, cook in 1/4 pint of boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes and drain the water into the soup. Garnish with the small florets and remaining almonds.
Calories: 257 kcal
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 7 mg
Sodium: 216 mg
Potassium: 695 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 516 IU
Vitamin C: 76 mg
Calcium: 133 mg
Iron: 2 mg