Broad Beans in Hot Sauce
- 1 lb green lima or broad beans thawed if frozen
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 12 oz tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 or 2 drained canned jalapeno chillies seeded and chopped
- salt chopped fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
- Cook the beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 — 20 minutes until tender. Drain and keep hot, to one side, in the covered saucepan.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes and cook until the mixture is thick and flavoursome.
- Add the jalapenos and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Pour the mixture over the reserved beans and check that they are hot. If not, return everything to the frying pan and cook over low heat for just long enough to heat through. Put into a warm serving dish, garnish with the coriander and serve.
Calories: 217 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 12 mg
Potassium: 569 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 802 IU
Vitamin C: 23 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Iron: 2 mg