Paneer Kofta (Potato and cottage cheese dumplings)
- 1.1 lb Cottage cheese panccr, grated
- 4 Potatoes boiled, mashed
- 3 tbsp Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped
- 1 1/2 oz Mixed nuts finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- a pinch Asafoetida hing powder
- 1 oz Ginger adrak, finely shredded
- 2 Green chillies deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mango powder amchur
- 1 tsp Lemon nimbu juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- Vegetable oil for frying
for the gravy:
- 1 1/2 oz Cashew nuts kaju / Almonds (badaam) finely chopped
- 1 oz Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp Cumin jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 8 oz Water
- 5 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Cinnamon dalchini, 1 inch stick
- 4 Cloves laung
- 22 oz Tomatoes finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Green coriander hara dhaniya, chopped
- For the koftas, knead the cottage cheese till smooth and creamy. Add all the ingredients for the koftas. Knead till the mixture is well mixed.
- Lightly grease your hands and divide the mixture into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place them on a tray lined with plastic wrap.
- Heat the oil in a wok (kadhai); slide in a few balls, at a time, and fry them until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen towels. Keep aside.
- For the gravy, make a smooth paste of cashew nuts or almonds, ginger, green chillies, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder with 2 tbsp water.
- Moderately heat the ghee in a pan; stir-fry the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and cloves for 10 seconds. Add half the tomatoes and the prepared paste, cook until the mixture is dry and the oil separates. Add the remaining tomatoes, water, and salt. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Slide in the koftas and bring the gravy to the boil. Spoon the koftas out onto a serving dish. Then pour the gravy over them and garnish with green coriander. Serve hot.
Calories: 652 kcal
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 16 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Sodium: 1509 mg
Potassium: 1637 mg
Fiber: 11 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 1526 IU
Vitamin C: 71 mg
Calcium: 187 mg
Iron: 4 mg