Mussel and Prawn Pie
The pie filling must be cold before covering or the pastry will be soggy.
- 7 1/2 oz frozen puff pastry defrosted
- lightly beaten egg white for glazing
- lemon wedges to garnish
- 15 oz jar mussels in brine drained
- 2 oz frozen prawns defrosted
- 1 1/2 oz margarine or butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 oz plain flour
- 7 floz milk
- 3 floz dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) larger all round than the top of an 850 ml (1 1/2 pint) ovenproof pie dish.
- Invert the pie dish on the rolled out pastry and cut round the edge with a sharp knife to make a lid. Then cut a strip the same width as the rim of the pie dish, from the outer edge.
- Use the trimmings for decorations and refrigerate with the pastry.
- Make the filling: melt margarine in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for about 5 minutes until it is soft and lightly coloured. Sprinkle in the flour and stir over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return to heat and simmer, stirring, until thick.
- Stir in the wine, mussels and prawns and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the parsley. Pour the mixture into the pie dish and leave until cold.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Dampen the rim of the dish with water. Place the pastry strip on the rim and press down lightly. Brush the strip with egg white, place pastry lid on top of dish and press round the edge to seal. Trim any surplus pastry, then flute the edge.
- Brush pastry decorations with egg white and stick on to pastry lid. Brush lid with egg white.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5 and bake for a further 15 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden. Serve the pie hot.
Calories: 517 kcal
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Protein: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 481 mg
Potassium: 374 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 547 IU
Vitamin C: 8 mg
Calcium: 99 mg
Iron: 4 mg