Gluten free Lemon Tart
- 3 oz of Dairy free margarine
- 1 1/2 oz caster superfine sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 oz of rice flour
- 2 oz maize flour
for the filling
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- 6 floz lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 7 oz caster superfine sugar
- 2 oz Dairy free margarine
- 2 tablespoons of caster superfine sugar for sprinkling
- 8 wafer thin slices of lemon halved
- Extra icing confectioners' sugar for decoration
- 24 cm (9 1/2 inch) loose-bottomed tart tin, greased and floured Baking parchment (wax paper) and ceramic baking beans
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
- Briefly mix the margarine, sugar and grated lemon zest in a food processor.
- Add the egg and beat for a moment or two.
- Mix in the flours until it comes together into a dough.
- Shape the pastry into a ball, wrap in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the shape of the tin.
- Transfer the pastry to the tin and press into the tin with floured fingers. Trim the edges and prick all over the base of the pastry with a fork.
- Line the pastry with the baking parchment (wax paper), cover with ceramic beans and bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the ceramic beans and baking parchment (wax paper) and cook the pastry in the oven for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Now make the filling in a food processor. Beat the 3 whole eggs with the 3 extra yolks, lemon juice and zest, and sugar.
- Transfer to a non-stick saucepan and cook gently over medium heat. Stir frequently and do not allow it to boil.
- When the mixture is thick, remove from the heat, add the margarine and stir until it has melted.
- Pour the filling into the pastry shell and chill in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- A couple of hours before serving the lemon tart, turn the grill (broiler) on to very hot.
- Sprinkle the extra sugar over the lemon filling and decorate with the lemon slices.
- Grill (broil) for about 6 - 8 minutes until the tart is browned but not scorched.
- Chill the tart again until needed.
- To serve, slide the base off the tin onto a serving dish and decorate the tart with a sprinkling of extra sifted icing (confectioners') sugar.
Calories: 362 kcal
Carbohydrates: 48 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 155 mg
Sodium: 182 mg
Potassium: 120 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 34 g
Vitamin A: 873 IU
Vitamin C: 19 mg
Calcium: 42 mg
Iron: 1 mg