Festive Frozen Cake
This festive and easy cake is perfect for Christmas or any time you need a dessert that's quick and easy.
- 8 inch chocolate sponge
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 3 teaspoons gelatine
- 1/2 cup hot strong coffee
- 4 tablespoons chocolate or coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- Split chocolate sponge through the centre.
- Cream butter and sugar together and gradually add beaten egg yolks until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Cut chocolate into small pieces and melt in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over gently boiling water.
- Cool and stir into butter mixture.
- Dissolve gelatine in hot coffee, cool and add to filling.
- Lastly, whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Place half chocolate sponge in spring-form tin and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the liqueur.
- Spread the prepared cream filling over and cover with other half of sponge, sprinkle with remaining liqueur.
- Cover cake with aluminium foil and place in the freezing compartment of the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
- If desired the cake may be prepared to this stage 2 or 3 days in advance.
- When ready to serve, remove cake from freezer and take out of spring-form tin.
- Whip cream and swirl over top of cake. Decorate with hazelnuts and grated chocolate.
- Note: If desired, chocolate may be melted and spread into neat, flat rounds on a greased baking tray. Leave until set, lift off with a spatula and arrange on the cream.
Calories: 2635 kcal
Carbohydrates: 461 g
Protein: 47 g
Saturated Fat: 33 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 909 mg
Sodium: 3765 mg
Potassium: 1033 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 284 g
Vitamin A: 2182 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 549 mg
Iron: 24 mg