Dundee Cake #3
- 8 oz butter or margarine
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 5 eggs tightly beaten
- 12 oz self-raising flour sifted
- 1 1/2 lb mixed dried fruit
- 4 oz glace cherries washed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 oz whole blanched almonds
- Line and grease a deep 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin.
- Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if necessary to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Mix the dried fruit and cherries with a spoonful of the flour.
- Fold the remaining flour and the mixed spice into the creamed mixture. Stir in the dried fruit and glace cherries.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Top with concentric circles of almonds.
- Bake in a cool oven for 3 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you have whole almonds with peel on, then cover them with boiling water and leave for 1 minute. Drain and rub off the skins between your thumb and forefinger. Weigh the nuts without skins.
Oven temperature 150°C, 300°F, gas 2
Calories: 6434 kcal
Carbohydrates: 1007 g
Protein: 105 g
Saturated Fat: 128 g
Trans Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 1306 mg
Sodium: 2021 mg
Potassium: 5716 mg
Fiber: 82 g
Sugar: 610 g
Vitamin A: 6940 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 1481 mg
Iron: 23 mg