Brandied Yule Cake
This is a rich and moist cake that's a favorite for holiday baking. It has a brandy flavor that will remind you of the holidays.
- 1 1/2 cups shelled Brazil nuts
- 1 cup pecan or walnut halves
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups stoned dates
- 1/2 cup seeded raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped glace fruits apricots, pineapple, figs
- 3/4 cup red and green glace cherries
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- All nuts and fruits should be left whole, except for the larger glace fruits which should be cut into chunky pieces.
- Grease a 25 x 15 cm (10 x 6 inch) loaf tin and line base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Brush paper lining well with melted butter.
- Place nuts and fruit in a mixing bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients on top of fruit, add sugar and stir.
- Beat eggs and stir into fruit and nut mixture with brandy until blended.
- Spoon into lined tin.
- Bake in a slow oven 150-160°C (300-325°F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown.
- Invert onto rack, peel off paper and leave until cool.
- Soak a piece of sterilised, dry muslin or cheesecloth in brandy and wrap cake in this.
- Place in a plastic bag and store in a sealed container for 3 weeks.
- Soak cloth in brandy once a week. Slice thinly to serve.
Cake may be glazed with warmed honey before serving.
Calories: 4496 kcal
Carbohydrates: 500 g
Protein: 100 g
Saturated Fat: 45 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 491 mg
Sodium: 1030 mg
Potassium: 4765 mg
Fiber: 54 g
Sugar: 267 g
Vitamin A: 2322 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 883 mg
Iron: 24 mg