Duck with Chinese Mushrooms and Ginger
Ducks are often seen, comically Herded in single file, along the water channels between the rice paddies throughout the country. The substantial Chinese population in Indonesia is particularly fond of duck and the delicious ingredients in this recipe give it an oriental flavour.
- 5 1/2 lb duck
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 floz light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 8 dried Chinese mushrooms soaked in
- 12 floz warm water for 15 minutes
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 in fresh root ginger sliced and cut in matchsticks
- 7 oz baby sweetcorn
- 1/2 bunch spring onions white bulbs left whole, green tops sliced
- 1 - 2 tbsp cornflour mixed to a paste with (4 tbsp water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- boiled rice to serve
- Cut the duck along the breast, open it up and cut along each side of the backbone. Use the backbone, wings and giblets to make a stock, to use later in the recipe. Any trimmings of fat can be rendered in a frying pan, to use later in the recipe. Cut each leg and each breast in half. Place in a bowl, rub with the sugar and then pour over the soy sauce and garlic.
- Drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Trim and discard the stalks.
- Fry the onion and ginger in the duck fat, in a frying pan, until they give off a good aroma. Push to one side. Lift the duck pieces out of the soy sauce and fry them until browned. Add the mushrooms and reserved liquid.
- Add 600 ml (1 pint) 2 1/2 cups of I the duck stock or water to the browned duck pieces. Season, cover and cook over a gentle heat for about 1 hour, until the duck is tender.
- Add the sweetcorn and the white part of the spring onions and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cornflour paste. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring. Cook for 1 minute until glossy. Serve, scattered with the spring onion tops, with boiled rice.
Calories: 1314 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 41 g
Cholesterol: 237 mg
Sodium: 614 mg
Potassium: 797 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 597 IU
Vitamin C: 12 mg
Calcium: 44 mg
Iron: 8 mg