- 1 1/4 lb plain chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp freshly made strong black coffee
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp caster sugar superfine granulated
- 3 oz self raising self risingwhite flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz walnut halves chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Grease and line a baking tin measuring 19 x 27 cm (7 1/2 x 10 1/2 inches) across the base (or use a tin with similar dimensions).
- Using a sharp knife, roughly chop 225 g (8 oz) of the chocolate and set aside.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly.
- Mix the eggs, coffee and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth, then gradually beat in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour, salt, walnuts, vanilla essence and chopped chocolate.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake the brownie mixture at 190°C (375f/gas 5) for 40-45 minutes or until just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out.
- Trim off the crusty edges and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- If freezing, open freeze then pack in freezer containers, label and freeze.
- Thaw for 4-6 hours.
Calories: 1149 kcal
Carbohydrates: 105 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 41 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 163 mg
Sodium: 415 mg
Potassium: 457 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 83 g
Vitamin A: 1070 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 75 mg
Iron: 4 mg