Chicken curry with roasted spices (Xacuti de Galinha)
- 2.2 lb Chicken cut into 12 pieces
- 5 oz Coconut nariyal, grated
- 2 Onions medium-sized, sliced
- 10 Kashmiri chillies sookhi lal mirch
- 1 tsp Cumin jeera seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander dhaniya seeds
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds khus khus
- 6 Black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 2 Cinnamon dalchini, 1 inch sticks
- 8 Cloves laung
- 1 Star anise chakri phoot
- 2 tsp Fennel mot/ saunf
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric haldi powder
- 5 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Onions medium-sized, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger adrak, minced
- 9 cloves Garlic lasan, minced
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Lemon nimbu juice
- Grind 1 cup coconut with 1/2 cup warm water and extract 3/4 cup thick coconut milk. Add 1 cup warm water to the coconut again and extract 1 cup thin coconut milk. Keep both aside.
- Heat a frying pan and dry roast 1 cup coconut till light brown. Dry roast the onions for a few minutes.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil and saute the Kashmiri chillies for 1 minute. Remove. Saute each of the next 8 ingredients separately with a few drops of oil for a few seconds. Do not allow any of the spices to burn as they will turn bitter.
- Grind the roasted coconut, onions and spices with the turmeric powder and a little water to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pan; add the onions and saute till soft and golden. Add the ginger and garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes on high heat till brown. Add the roasted coconut spice paste and mix well.
- Add the thin coconut milk and salt, mix well, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the gravy is thick.
- Add the thick coconut milk and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot with rice or pulao.
Note: For a less rich dish, replace coconut milk with water.
Calories: 659 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 19 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 90 mg
Sodium: 1278 mg
Potassium: 992 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 13 g
Vitamin A: 1274 IU
Vitamin C: 181 mg
Calcium: 136 mg
Iron: 5 mg