Petits Pains au Chocolat (French)
- 1 oz fresh yeast or 1 tbsp dried
- 8 floz warm milk
- 1 lb bread flour UK equivalent is strong plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 oz butter softened
- 14 oz bar of plain chocolate that can be broken into 16 rectangles
- Dissolve the yeast in a little of the warm milk and leave to stand, 5 minutes for fresh yeast and 15 for dried yeast.
- Place the flour in a bowl and toss in the salt and 3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g sugar. Make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast and the remaining milk and add the egg. Mix everything to a dough and knead it on a floured board until it is smooth. Knead in the butter.
- 3 Place the dough it in a bowl, cover it with a cloth and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) gas 6.
- Knead the dough on a floured board, divide it into sixteen pieces and roll each one into a rectangle about 4 x 6 inches (10 x 15 cm).
- Break the chocolate into sixteen rectangles. Lay a piece of chocolate on one of the rolled pieces of dough. Fold over the ends of the dough and then the sides, to enclose the chocolate completely.
- Place the finished parcel, with the joins of the dough underneath, on a floured baking sheet. Continue to make the rest of the buns in the same way.
- Leave the buns to prove for 20 minutes.
- Bake them for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Cool them on a wire rack and eat them warm or cold.
Calories: 283 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Sodium: 186 mg
Potassium: 135 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 17 g
Vitamin A: 128 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 30 mg
Iron: 1 mg