Potatoes In Shirts (Patatas En Camisa)
If you're looking for a fun, easy recipe for your next family dinner, look no further than Potatoes In Shirts.
- 1 lb potatoes
- a pinch of saffron threads
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 1/2 oz plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 pint hot clear chicken stock
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pure olive oil for deep-frying, plus 2 tablespoons for shallow-frying
- an electric deep-fryer optional
- Cut the potatoes into 1 cm slices and put in a bowl of cold water to stop them discolouring.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the saffron with a little salt. Put in a bowl with the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Drain the potato slices, pat dry with kitchen paper, then dip them first in the seasoned flour, then in the egg mixture.
- Fill a saucepan or deep-fryer one-third full with the oil, or to the manufacturer's recommended level. Heat to 180°C (350°F).
- Fry the potatoes, a batch at a time, until golden - they don't have to cook through. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry until soft and pale golden. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole. Add the potatoes to the casserole, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with half the parsley, then add the hot stock.
- Grind some extra pepper over the top and bake uncovered in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) Gas 6 until the potatoes are tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley, then serve.
Calories: 219 kcal
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 84 mg
Sodium: 127 mg
Potassium: 645 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 298 IU
Vitamin C: 27 mg
Calcium: 44 mg
Iron: 2 mg