- 1 1/2 lb stewing steak
- 1 oz dripping fat from roasted meat
- 8 oz onions sliced
- 2 level tbsp paprika pepper
- 1 oz plain flour All purpose
- 14 oz can of peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 pint water
- 1 beef bouillon cube stock cube
- salt and pepper
- 1 large green pepper seeded and cut into strips
- Cut the meat into neat 1 in. (2.5cm) cubes. Melt the dripping in a saucepan and fry the meat for 3-4 minutes to quickly seal and brown. Lift it out with a slotted spoon and keep on one side.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes to lightly brown. Stir in the paprika pepper and flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water, crumbled bouillon cube, salt and pepper and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
- Return the meat to the pan, partially cover with a lid and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the green pepper and continue cooking for a further hour or until the meat is tender.
- Taste and check seasoning. Turn into a warm serving dish.
- Accompaniments; This is tasty served piping hot with buttered noodles.
Calories: 493 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 37 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Cholesterol: 111 mg
Sodium: 351 mg
Potassium: 849 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 1210 IU
Vitamin C: 42 mg
Calcium: 42 mg
Iron: 4 mg