- 1 lb fillet of cod
- 1 tsp horseradish root grated
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz butter
- 1 lb hot potatoes mashed
- a little milk
- 1 oz butter
- 3 tbsp self raising self rising flour
- 10 floz milk
- 1 medium egg hard boiled (cooked)
- cayenne pepper
to make the fish mixture
- Put the fish in a saucepan with the horseradish, parsley, salt and pepper and sufficient water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Lift out the fish, retain the liquid, remove the skin and bones and flake roughly.
- Put on to a hot, shallow dish and keep warm.
- In the meantime, beat the butter into the mashed potato with sufficient milk to give a creamy consistency.
- Fork the potato mixture round the fish, or pipe a border, and keep warm.
to make the sauce
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk to 150 ml (5 fl oz) of the strained fish liquid.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Chop the hard boiled egg white and stir into the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently pour the sauce over the fish.
- Sieve the egg yolk and sprinkle, together with the cayenne pepper, over the top of the sauce.
Calories: 347 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 132 mg
Sodium: 500 mg
Potassium: 871 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 627 IU
Vitamin C: 24 mg
Calcium: 118 mg
Iron: 1 mg