Apricot Barbecue Chicken
Water in the roasting tin helps to keep any sauce that drips through the rack from spitting and burning and spoiling the dish.
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 14 oz can apricots
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- 2.5 cm 1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and crushed
- pinch of dried tarragon optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Make the sauce: put the apricots and their syrup into the goblet of a blender, add the remaining sauce ingredients with salt and pepper to taste and work for a few seconds to a rough puree.
- Turn the apricot mixture into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes until it thickens to a coating consistency.
- Fill a roasting tin to a depth of 1 cm (1/2 inch) with cold water and set a rack over the tin. Arrange the drumsticks on the rack and brush thickly with half the sauce. Cook in the oven, on the shelf above centre, for 40-45 minutes until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the drumsticks is pierced with a fine skewer. Turn the drumsticks over once or twice during cooking time and brush with the remaining sauce.
- Transfer drumsticks to a serving platter and spoon over any sauce and juices which have collected in the tin. Garnish with the toasted almonds, if using, and serve.
Calories: 417 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Protein: 42 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 209 mg
Sodium: 740 mg
Potassium: 786 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 2016 IU
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Calcium: 39 mg
Iron: 2 mg