Sweetbreads with mushrooms and cream
Despite long preparation, this dish is well worth the time and effort. Serve with light vegetables such as creamed or boiled new potatoes and French or runner beans.
- Cooking oil and butter for frying
- 12 pickling onions peeled
- 1 lb calf's or lamb's sweetbreads prepared
- 1 tbsp spoon flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp spoons brandy optional
- 1/2 pint dry white wine or dry white wine and chicken stock mixed
- 1 bouquet garni
- 6 oz button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/4 pint fresh double cream
- Freshly chopped parsley to finish
- Heat a spoon of oil and knob of butter in a frying pan. Add the onions and fry gently until golden. Add the sweetbreads and fry until golden-brown, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the flour and sprinkle with the seasoning. If using brandy, pour in and set it alight.
- Add the wine or wine and stock, stirring well. Bring slowly to the boil, then lower the heat. Add the bouquet garni, cover the pan and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the sweetbreads are tender.
- Add the mushrooms 5 minutes before the end of cooking time and discard the bouquet garni.
- Stir in the double cream. Be careful not to let the sauce boil or the cream will curdle. Adjust seasoning. Transfer to a hot serving platter, sprinkle with a little parsley and serve immediately.
Calories: 484 kcal
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Protein: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 419 mg
Sodium: 120 mg
Potassium: 1086 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 16 g
Vitamin A: 45012 IU
Vitamin C: 28 mg
Calcium: 177 mg
Iron: 11 mg